K-1 Visa

If you are engaged and want to bring your fiancé/fiancée to the United States you can petition your fiancé/fiancée for a K-1 Visa. Once the K-1 visa is approved the file is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) for consular processing. Upon approval of the K-1 Visa by the U. S. consulate of the fiancé/fiancée’s home country or country of residence, s/he can thereafter enter the U.S. with a K-1 nonimmigrant visa. This visa is based on a condition that the U. S. citizen (USC) petitioner and the fiancé/fiancée must marry within 90 days of entry. K-1 Visa holders are eligible for an Employment Authorization Document to legally work in the U.S. while waiting to marry.

Once the couple marries, the USC spouse can file the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative concurrent with his/her spouse’s adjustment of status application for lawful permanent residency. If the couple decides not to marry, the fiancé/fiancée will have to leave the U.S. immediately.


  • You (Petitioner) must be a USC;
  • You must have met your fiancé/ fiancée in person within the previous two years from filing the petition;
  • You and your fiancé/fiancée are free to marry;
  • You must meet a minimum income requirement;
  • Your fiancé/fiancée must be admissible into the United States; “admissible” means not having certain criminal or immigration violation history and/or undesirable traits identified by the United States government.

K-1 Dependents

If your fiancé/fiancée has any unmarried minor children (17 years old and below) they can also be granted K-2 Visas. You can petition for the step-child/step-children and the adjustment of status can be concurrently filed. If you and your fiancé/fiancée decide not to marry, the minor child/children will have to leave the U.S. with the K-1 Visa parent.

The K-1 Visa application process is complex. To increase your chances for approval of the K-1 Visa, the experienced immigration lawyers at the Law Office of Shane D. Scott will assist you with the application process and for the consulate interview, if desired. For assistance with the K-1 Visa, contact our office at (800) 230-0744 or sscott@shanescottlaw.com or Skype: shanescottlaw.

Client Reviews

I had the pleasure of hiring Shane as my Real Estate attorney. He is the epitome of professionalism and efficiency. Closing on a house can be convoluted, tedious and stressful unless you work with Shane. There was no problem big enough for him or anything he didn't immediately tackle. I had full...

- Gaudí T.

Shane has been giving me real estate advice even before I hired him as my lawyer. He gives great and sound advice, explains everything and he always return my calls fast.

- Vena.

As a 1st time seller in the borough of Queens and upon a verbal recommendation I utilized Attorney Shane Scott. He was extremely helpful as my closing attorney, and knowledgeable throughout the whole process.

- Delores.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Good Representation in Real Estate Matters
  2. 2 Aggressive Advocacy for Accident Victims
  3. 3 Guidance for Foreign Nationals Coming to the US
Fill out the contact form or call us at (800) 230-0744 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message