J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor Program)

By participating in a United States Department of State approved exchange visitor program you will have an opportunity to share your educational, artistic, and scientific knowledge and skills with a J-1 Visa. Completion of such an exchange program may require you to return to your home country or country of last residence for at least two years so that you can share what you have gained from your program.

Who are Eligible to Apply

  • Students from all academic levels;
  • On-the-job Training recipients in firms, institutions, and agencies;
  • Primary, Secondary, and Specialized Education Teachers;
  • Professors who will teach or do research at universities;
  • Research Scholars;
  • Professionals who will be trained in the medical and allied fields; and
  • Professionals who will travel, observe, consult, research, train, share, or demonstrate their specialized knowledge or skills, or participate in organized community based programs.


  • Meet the scholastic requirements of the exchange programs;
  • Knowledge of English, or if English is not required, the exchange program must be able to show that it is designed to accommodate Non-English speaking J-1 Visa recipients;
  • For graduate medical education or training applicants, must pass the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination in Medical Sciences and be competent in English; and
  • Must be admissible into the United States; “admissible” means not having certain criminal or immigration violation history and/or undesirable traits identified by the United States government.

Spouses and/or Minor Children of J-1 Visa Recipients

Spouses and/or unmarried minor children (20 years old or below) can accompany or follow to join the J-1 Visa holder to the United States by applying for a J-2 Visa. The application procedure is the same as the J-1 Visa applicant. The sponsoring institution or organization must approve that the spouse and/or children accompany the J-1 Visa holder.

The J Visa application process is complex. To increase the chances for approval of the J Exchange Visitor visa, the experienced immigration lawyers at the Law Office of Shane D. Scott will assist you with the application process and for the consulate interview, if desired. For assistance with the J Visa, contact our office at (800) 230-0744 or sscott@shanescottlaw.com or Skype: shanescottlaw.

Client Reviews

I had the pleasure of hiring Shane as my Real Estate attorney. He is the epitome of professionalism and efficiency. Closing on a house can be convoluted, tedious and stressful unless you work with Shane. There was no problem big enough for him or anything he didn't immediately tackle. I had full...

- Gaudí T.

Shane has been giving me real estate advice even before I hired him as my lawyer. He gives great and sound advice, explains everything and he always return my calls fast.

- Vena.

As a 1st time seller in the borough of Queens and upon a verbal recommendation I utilized Attorney Shane Scott. He was extremely helpful as my closing attorney, and knowledgeable throughout the whole process.

- Delores.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Good Representation in Real Estate Matters
  2. 2 Aggressive Advocacy for Accident Victims
  3. 3 Guidance for Foreign Nationals Coming to the US
Fill out the contact form or call us at (800) 230-0744 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message