F-1 Student Visa

If you are a full-time academic or language training student interested in studying in the United States you may be eligible to apply for an F-1 Student Visa. Before applying for an F-1 Visa you will have to be first accepted in an educational institution that is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). SEVP was developed so that the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of State can monitor the schools and the student visa categories.


  • Must have a foreign residence which you do not intend to abandon;
  • Must be a bone fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study;
  • Must enter the United States temporarily solely to pursue a course of study;
  • Must study in a SEVP certified educational institution;
  • Must have the necessary funds to pursue your course of study;

To get a list of SEVP certified schools you can access the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, website at
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Spouses and Children of F-1 Student Visa Holder

F-1 Student Visa holders can bring their spouses and children (20 years old and below) when they enter the United States or join them at a later time on an F-2 Dependent Visa.

Employment as an F-1 Student Visa Holder

F-1 Students can work on-campus in their educational institution while pursuing their course of studies if maintaining good academic standings. Work hours are limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during holidays and vacations. However, students experiencing severe economic hardship can obtain off-campus employment if they are full-time students maintaining good academic standings. Before starting to work students must consult with the international student’s office in their school or with an immigration attorney. Any unauthorized employment may jeopardize an F-1 Student Visa status.

Optional Practical Training

Once F-1 students have completed their course of studies and graduated from their academic program they are eligible for a total of twelve months of Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT provide F-1 students with an opportunity to get on-the-job training and apply what they learned from their academic program. OPT requires that the F-1 students get authorization from the United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) before starting their OPT.

The F-1 Visa application process is complex. To increase the chances for approval of the F-1 Student Visa, the experienced immigration lawyers at the Law Office of Shane D. Scott will assist you with the application process and for the consulate interview, if desired. For assistance with the F-1 Visa, contact our office at (800) 230-0744 or sscott@shanescottlaw.com or Skype: shanescottlaw.

Client Reviews

I had the pleasure of hiring Shane as my Real Estate attorney. He is the epitome of professionalism and efficiency. Closing on a house can be convoluted, tedious and stressful unless you work with Shane. There was no problem big enough for him or anything he didn't immediately tackle. I had full...

- Gaudí T.

Shane has been giving me real estate advice even before I hired him as my lawyer. He gives great and sound advice, explains everything and he always return my calls fast.

- Vena.

As a 1st time seller in the borough of Queens and upon a verbal recommendation I utilized Attorney Shane Scott. He was extremely helpful as my closing attorney, and knowledgeable throughout the whole process.

- Delores.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Good Representation in Real Estate Matters
  2. 2 Aggressive Advocacy for Accident Victims
  3. 3 Guidance for Foreign Nationals Coming to the US
Fill out the contact form or call us at (800) 230-0744 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message