Family Based Green Card

New York City Family Green Card Attorney

Depending on the family relationship and your family member’s legal status in the United State, you may be able to get a US green card through your US family member. US citizens can bring more distant relative and the process can sometimes be quicker than if your US family member was a legal permanent resident.

Green Card Through Immediate Family

Immediate family members generally can immigrate faster than “preference categories” of immigration law plus there are no limits as to the number of people who may immigrate.

Immediate family:

  • Spouse of US Citizen
  • Unmarried children under age 21 with at least one US citizen parent
  • Parents of US Citizens, if the US citizen child is age 21 or older
  • Stepparents and stepchildren (step relationship created before child reaches 18)
  • Parents and children related through adoption (adoption completed before child reaches age 16)

Green Card Through Other Family Relationships

If you do not qualify for one of the above “immediate family” relationships, you may still be able to get a green card through other family relationship with US citizens or green card holders. Unlike the immediately family category which has an unlimited amount of visas available, the “other categories” or “preference categories” have a yearly limit of visas available. As such the beneficiary must wait until a visa becomes available in the preference category in which he/she qualifies.

  • Family First Preference: Unmarried individuals who have at least one US citizen parent.
  • Family Second Preference:
    • (2A) spouses of green card holders and unmarried children who are under 21.
    • (2B) unmarried sons and daughters who are over age 21 of green card holders.
  • Family Third Preference: Married individuals with at least one US citizen parent.
  • Family Forth Preference: Brothers and Sisters of US citizen if the USC is over 21.

If you qualify for US permanent residence based on your family relationship with a US citizen or green card holder then you should contact our New York City family immigration law firm at (800) 230-0744 or or Skype: shanescottlaw. to assist you in preparing the necessary paperwork involved with successfully obtaining your green card through your family member.

Client Reviews

I had the pleasure of hiring Shane as my Real Estate attorney. He is the epitome of professionalism and efficiency. Closing on a house can be convoluted, tedious and stressful unless you work with Shane. There was no problem big enough for him or anything he didn't immediately tackle. I had full...

- Gaudí T.

Shane has been giving me real estate advice even before I hired him as my lawyer. He gives great and sound advice, explains everything and he always return my calls fast.

- Vena.

As a 1st time seller in the borough of Queens and upon a verbal recommendation I utilized Attorney Shane Scott. He was extremely helpful as my closing attorney, and knowledgeable throughout the whole process.

- Delores.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Good Representation in Real Estate Matters
  2. 2 Aggressive Advocacy for Accident Victims
  3. 3 Guidance for Foreign Nationals Coming to the US
Fill out the contact form or call us at (800) 230-0744 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message